Modified Cadillac
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 22, 2014, 04:58:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
New or old, lifted to lowered, restored to stock or modified, customized and personalized -

We have a passion for our cars and the ability to make them to our personal choice. 
89,859 Posts in 7,950 Topics by 663 Members
Latest Member: shaagger
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Modified Cadillac  |  Home  |  Discussion  |  Topic: CADILLAC DISC BRAKE CONVERSION 1964 1965 1966 1967 1968 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: CADILLAC DISC BRAKE CONVERSION 1964 1965 1966 1967 1968  (Read 16465 times)
tedsled66
Registered Guest

« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2008, 05:25:59 PM »

TedSled,

I assume BJ will get his parts list royalty from you - a case of Coors Lite ?

Cash , check or $ order will suffice.

Perhaps in due time he'll get a free disc brake conversion, might take a few years though.

Pooter  Grin

Of coors I will.. Grin
Do I need to get in line? hehe.
Pooter...are you his agent or something? j/k

1966 Coupe Deville Convertible (used in my Wedding!)
1970 Coupe Deville (R.I.P.)
MCLC wannabe
Porter
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2008, 06:14:26 PM »

Of coors I will.. Grin
Do I need to get in line? hehe.
Pooter...are you his agent or something? j/k

Well, I stated perhaps he might share his parts list with others and he said no prob - donations will be graciously accepted. Not a cheap kit but somebody did their homework. We did too but only a 69 disc brake swap upgrade. And Tassie wrote up a nice article also.

BJ will  give you the shirt off his back too but it's a two way street here - Team effort.

Purely by chance I was surfing fleabay for 66 Cadillac parts and posted that disc brake kit here - the General has been great with factory bolt on parts if you do a little digging with some trial and error, can mix and match tons of parts.

After giving my 90 SBC TBI system a thorough going over that's another fascinating subject, first fuel delivery system after the carburetor. GM built tons of those systems : 87 - 95 on the pickup trucks.

Found a few nice artilces I'll post on that subject soon.

Cadillac used TBI first but I'm no expert on that subject. Mike Jones' 85 Eldo has TBI.

Pooter Roll Eyes

BadJack
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2008, 07:44:01 PM »

Bad Jack!
A beauty of a car and a nice price! I think that color may be my favorite stock color for the sixties models. Is that Emerald? What is it called? Do you perhaps know if GM painted them in 66 like that?

So glad to hear your brake conversion went well. Are you still using your stock wheels and caps? So interested into your conversion pproject. Someday I would like to do the same to my 66.

Thanks for all the info!

TEdSled

Thanks Ted, I love the classic look of the 65.  I also love the color.  I saw a 65 Eldo that was the same color but with some metallic in it also.  I would like to do the same to mine.  Sorry I don't know what the color is called.  Maybe someone else will chime in.

Using the stock wheels and wheel covers.  I went to a 235/75 R15 though.  She handles great.

Pooters my buddy.  He's got my back.  The kit was abot $1200 so when someone asked if I would tell what it all came from I said I would for a nominal fee.  Just joking around.  I will always help anyone here if I can.

The kit was well worth the money.  Very complete and easy to install.  All bolt on stuff.

BJ

« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 08:14:43 PM by BadJack » Logged
The Tassie Devil (Bruce Reynolds)
MCLC Member

Now home, and loving it.

« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2008, 07:49:38 PM »

Don't forget that BJ will have to send the makers of the conversion a royalty for disclosing the information. Wink

Bruce. Evil

CLC # 18992
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'55 Buick Special Post Coupe (LHD)
'72 Chris Craft Gull Wing (RHD)
Past President of the Modified Chapter
BadJack
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2008, 08:16:29 PM »

Don't forget that BJ will have to send the makers of the conversion a royalty for disclosing the information. Wink

Bruce. Evil

I think that the purchase price included that mate. Grin
61rocket
Registered Guest

The money pit

« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2008, 05:48:20 AM »

Badjack nice car . I see the same guy does a kit for the 61 I am guessing that the brake lines would have to be changed as the MC
only single circuit . Can anyone see any problems with that ? I was looking at his kit but the shipping to Aus on UPS is ridiculous at over $1200 .
I have now got someone that can put it in a container for me so won't be too much pain. Are the parts for it readily available in the States ? I was looking at
getting one done here but it was over two grand and couldn't use original wheels ( which I want to keep) . The only advantage was that the parts were local .
There is a business here that says he can get any US brake parts for me and his prices are always very reasonable .

Lance  Grin
EZ
Registered Guest

« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2008, 08:59:26 PM »

EZ, yea.  It came with booster and master too.  I chanced it all out.

BJ

So the 80's Corvette booster bolted up?  Did you have to ream out the firewall
holes first or did they line up?  Did it have the correct end on the rod to connect
to the brake pedal?  The '79 Corvette booster I bought had a threaded rod
with no "loop" to go on the pin on the brake pedal so I got a 5/16 Heim Joint to
thread on the rod but the hole in the Heim Joint is too small to go over the pin
on the brake pedal.   Angry

Looks like I need to change to a 80's 'Vette booster.  Any idea exactly what year?

Thanks Dude.

"EZ"

EZ
1966 Cadillac Coupe DeVille
Ringgold, GA.

TORQUE IT DOWN 'TILL IT STRIPS.......THEN BACK IT OFF HALF A TURN.
BadJack
« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2008, 09:22:12 PM »

All they told me was mid 80's corvette.  It bolted right on.  Had the right loop on the pushrod and everything.  Bolt holes were aligned perfect.  In fact I replaced it by myself with no one else in the car.  I'm telli'n ya it was easy EZ.   Grin

BJ
EZ
Registered Guest

« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2008, 09:25:13 PM »

PERFECT!!  Thanks fir the info BJ.  The booster is the last piece of the puzzle for me.
I have everything else and it all bolts up like it should.

I should have the frame sadblasted and painted next week.  Then I can
start putting the suspension and brakes back on the frame.

"EZ"

EZ
1966 Cadillac Coupe DeVille
Ringgold, GA.

TORQUE IT DOWN 'TILL IT STRIPS.......THEN BACK IT OFF HALF A TURN.
STDog
Webmaster
Administrator

CLC# 24051

« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2008, 11:22:29 AM »

'85-87 use the same booster (different master cylinders though).

http://info.rockauto.com/Cardone/Detail3.htm?/54/5471401-01.jpg

Looks like only 2 bolts to mount it?
Joe, was that the case with yours?

'84 shows a different booster, but it looks similar.
http://info.rockauto.com/Cardone/Detail3.htm?/54/5471400-01.jpg

till only 2 bolts to mount at the firewall.

BadJack
« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2008, 05:46:00 PM »

No, not at all.  Mine has 4 mounting bolts.  Two of them longer than the others.  Plus mine is a lot wider than the ones you posted.

BJ
STDog
Webmaster
Administrator

CLC# 24051

« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2008, 06:41:09 PM »

Interesting. I wonder what mid 80s 'Vette means if not 84-87 Huh

'80-82 (I suspect '79 is the same, just didn't look)
have 4 bolts, but no clevis on the shaft.
http://info.rockauto.com/Cardone/Detail3.htm?/54/5481200-01.jpg
http://info.rockauto.com/Cardone/Detail3.htm?/50/501200-01.jpg

Porter
« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2008, 07:43:03 PM »

No, not at all.  Mine has 4 mounting bolts.  Two of them longer than the others.  Plus mine is a lot wider than the ones you posted.

BJ

Enough already , cough up the $ 20  for a 30 pack of Coors light and get the GM parts # list from BJ.

He paid through the nose for the kit - $$$ well spent now pay up sucker and help defray his expense.

You'll save $ 500 or more easily - he's entitled to his royalty. Then maybe he can break even too.

http://www.abernathyrestoration.com/

Porter  Roll Eyes

STDog
Webmaster
Administrator

CLC# 24051

« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2008, 07:58:44 PM »

Enough already , cough up the $ 20  for a 30 pack of Coors light and get the GM parts # list from BJ.

My understanding is all he know is that it's a mid80s 'Vette booster/master cylinder.

So we are trying to figure out what year(s) really.

I don't think it is a mid-80 vette, but instead late 70s/early 80s with an added clevis/hemi joint, that would have to be swapped if the booster is ever replaced.

FWIW, I have no dog in this hunt, as the stock booster in my '70 is fine by me.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 10:00:10 PM by STDog » Logged

Porter
« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2008, 08:23:16 PM »

My understanding is all he know is that it's a mid80s 'Vette booster/master cylinder.

So we are trying to figure out what year(s) really.

I don't think it is a mid-80 vette, but instead late 70s/early 80s with an added clevis/hemi joint, that would have to be swapped if the booster is ever replaced.

FWIW, I now dog in this hunt, as the stock booster in my '70 is fine by me.

Beats me, I assumed there is a GM part # on all of the part units involved.

At least BJ got what he paid for - parts that worked and a bolt on system.

The plot thickens, appears the vendor did his homework though.

Maybe a check for $ 20 to BJ will get the info flowing here with a PM. Mere pittance for the part #'s.

Porter  Roll Eyes

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
Modified Cadillac  |  Home  |  Discussion  |  Topic: CADILLAC DISC BRAKE CONVERSION 1964 1965 1966 1967 1968 « previous next »
Jump to: