Modified Cadillac
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 02, 2014, 09:26:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
    CLC 2014 Website of Merit award winner
89,636 Posts in 7,920 Topics by 779 Members
Latest Member: MOFFINZA
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Modified Cadillac  |  Home  |  Discussion  |  Topic: Shocks: KYB vs Monroe vs AC Delco 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Shocks: KYB vs Monroe vs AC Delco  (Read 14550 times)
alistair
« on: July 11, 2008, 12:11:16 PM »

OK, my 1984 Sedan DeVille needs new shocks.  Front ones are shot.  I had a look on Rock Auto and basically the three basic options are:

Monroe-Matic
KYB GR2
AC Delco "gas charged replacement shock or strut"

I suppose I could spring some extra coin for the KYB Gas-A-Just which the muscle car guys all seem to love.  Or the Monroe Sens-Matic?

I'm looking for Cadillac ride smoothness but if I can get some more precission in the handling as well thats all good.

Any thoughts / experiances with these shocks for my car?

Thanks
Porter
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 07:52:31 PM »

Beats me,

I'd go with  "KGB's" myself comrade.

Bringing this thread up to the top just for laughs.

Monroe is likely better than the Delco but I would assume you will get what you pay for.

Years ago I bought Bilsteins for my 66 Vette, best you could buy. I think Monroe's for my 78 Vette, can't go wrong with that brand. Delco is just factory stuff.

Comrade Porter  Roll Eyes

STDog
Webmaster
Administrator

CLC# 24051

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 08:21:47 PM »

I'm with porter, get the Monroes.

Not that any shocks are going to do anything noticeable for the handling above factory feel.

mrjb9475
MCLC Member

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 08:23:24 PM »

yeah monroe is the best for the money  ac you pay because its factory monroe is a little better quality but most likely cheeper i have replaced all 4 of mine with no problems and a cadillac ride with a bit better handling

ooch!!! i got bit by the eldo bug
Porter
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 08:49:48 PM »

When you get down to it the 84 C4 Vette had incredible handling with stiff springs and road like a dump truck. Great for a road track car. First year for the transverse leaf spring on the front too ? They even had kits for the pre C4 Vettes with that transverse front leaf spring.

So they used softer springs and better shocks and achieved even better handling.

The wider tires and better shock absorbers created all the handling, what is the adjustable suspension anyway - adjustable shock absorbers with a flip of the switch ?

More bells and whistles, adjustable suspension on the fly - who needs all this crap anyway ? Traction control - yada - yada.

Early 90's Lincoln's had air bag suspensions - they just give up the ghost. Then you replace the bags with springs and struts.

As if they will keep the car long enough to fork over $ 2K to fix the electronic suspension.

Wide steel rad tires, soft springs and stiff shocks end of story.

Goes on and on - for a Cadillac you have rear air suspension to compensate for extra load - whatever.

F'g transportation device for cripe sakes - marone !

Porter

alistair
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 02:39:26 AM »

Thanks.  The Delcos are more expesive (by a dollar or so) than the Monroes or the KYBs, but I learned that price means nothing compared to value a long time ago...
guidematic
MCLC Member

CLC #19186

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 09:16:16 AM »

Delcos or Monroes, boith are a good choice.

The Delco brand you would buy from a jobber are not the same as the OEM shocks. I found this out when I went to replace the rear shocks on my ALC equipped '89 Brougham. I wanted Delco because of the unique fittings, but they came with the same generic aftermarket fittings that Monroe would have. But, they work jusr great. The car has a nice ride, but is not sloppy.

I replaced the rear air shocks on my '70 Fleetwood many years ago. I could have bought the original Delco Superlifts, but would have had to buy them out of the US. So, I would not have had any warranty. I optd for Monroe shocks and they have worked great.

For front shocks, I found the Delco Performers work very well. Thery are not expensive either. But, I don't know if they are available anymore. But any good gas charged shock will work nice on the front of these cars.

On another note, make sure the steering stabiliser is in good shape. That's the shock tied to the centre link. If it wears out, you can get a front end shimmy. These Cadillacs run +5 degrees caster. The shimmy is like a steering wobble you would experience on a motorcycle.

Mike

If you carry jumper cables in your car
And your wife knows how to use them,
You may live in Canada .

CLC# 19186
1970 68169 Fleetwood  Brougham
1985 6EL57 Eldorado
1988 6EL57 Eldorado Biarritz
1990 6DW69 Brougham d'Elegance
1994 6DW69 Fleetwood Brougham
alistair
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 01:25:54 PM »

thanks Mike, it does shimmy a little at speed (say 65 - 75 MPH) which I has assumed was just down to needing the wheels ballancing as it feels a little like that.  I'll check out the steering damper while I'm under there.

She still rides OK and all but she went in for her MOT (anual inspection) and I got a big black cross on the advisory box for front shockers.  Thining about it she does "crash" a little on ruts.

As I do a lot of back road driving I'd like the car to handle well (OK, I realise whatI just said and that I drive an '84 full size full frame GM car, but...) but I don't want to give up any of the Caddy's ride. 

I kow a lot of people dive into upgraded this or that when all that was wrong was the stock piece was worn out.  For example I like good quality OEM rubber bushes better than after market poly ones.  Shocks etc. are areas which I'm open to improvement on.
The Tassie Devil (Bruce Reynolds)
MCLC Member

Now home, and loving it.

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 06:45:23 AM »

Tyres out of balance will always come in most noticeably between 45 and 48 MPH.

And will lessen after that.

Bruce. Evil

CLC # 18992
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'55 Buick Special Post Coupe (LHD)
'72 Chris Craft Gull Wing (RHD)
Past President of the Modified Chapter
alistair
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 09:30:04 AM »

interesting.  on the smaller european cars I grew up with wheel vibes are usually at cruising speeds.  But then they are cars with rack & pinion steering and half the kurb weight so life doesn't always compare apples and oranges!
Roadkill
Registered Guest

Milton Keynes, U.K

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 09:47:08 AM »

I put Monroes on my '58 and the ride is very spongey.

I prefer a slightly firmer ride, myself so will be fitting air-ride in the future.

Monroes are good but too soft for me.

1958 Cadillac Sedan DeVille  - (WATCH THIS SPACE)
1983 Chevrolet Camaro Z28, 5.7 V8, 6-Speed  - In Storage
2005 Ford Mondeo, 2.0 TDCI, 6-Speed  -  247,000 Miler
STDog
Webmaster
Administrator

CLC# 24051

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2008, 09:36:53 PM »

I put Monroes on my '58 and the ride is very spongey.

That's what the old Cadilac's are all about, and what is missing from modern "luxury" vehicles.

That soft, smooth ride.

Roadkill
Registered Guest

Milton Keynes, U.K

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 02:57:07 AM »

That's what the old Cadilac's are all about, and what is missing from modern "luxury" vehicles.

That soft, smooth ride.

Agreed.

Unfortunately, I live in Milton Keynes, U.K - Home (and worldwide breeding zone) of the Roundabout, or rotary.

Soft suspension means you get nowhere fast.  Angry

1958 Cadillac Sedan DeVille  - (WATCH THIS SPACE)
1983 Chevrolet Camaro Z28, 5.7 V8, 6-Speed  - In Storage
2005 Ford Mondeo, 2.0 TDCI, 6-Speed  -  247,000 Miler
guidematic
MCLC Member

CLC #19186

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2008, 06:02:48 AM »

They were designed for long straigh flat roads. Even the twisties at the time were reqularly driven at slow speeds.

But, they come into their own on straight roads where they can eat up mile after mile at high speed in total comfort.

Mike

If you carry jumper cables in your car
And your wife knows how to use them,
You may live in Canada .

CLC# 19186
1970 68169 Fleetwood  Brougham
1985 6EL57 Eldorado
1988 6EL57 Eldorado Biarritz
1990 6DW69 Brougham d'Elegance
1994 6DW69 Fleetwood Brougham
EZ
Registered Guest

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2008, 08:25:22 AM »

Anti-sway bars front and rear will help tremendously with the body roll
in the curves and won't hurt the plush ride on the straight roads......... Wink

"EZ"

EZ
1966 Cadillac Coupe DeVille
Ringgold, GA.

TORQUE IT DOWN 'TILL IT STRIPS.......THEN BACK IT OFF HALF A TURN.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
Modified Cadillac  |  Home  |  Discussion  |  Topic: Shocks: KYB vs Monroe vs AC Delco « previous next »
Jump to: