Modified Cadillac
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 01, 2014, 08:51:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Visit our Documents section to reference 1000s of pages of Cadillac & LaSalle factory & dealer literature items including:
Master Parts Lists, Illustrated Parts Catalogs, factory sales brochures, technical bulletins, advertising, data books & more.
89,199 Posts in 7,865 Topics by 750 Members
Latest Member: californiacadiluv76
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Modified Cadillac  |  Home  |  Discussion  |  Topic: What the Duck?? The Cadillac emblem and it's meaning... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What the Duck?? The Cadillac emblem and it's meaning...  (Read 6547 times)
VOODOO64
Registered Guest

Beware the Land Shark....

« on: October 08, 2010, 09:18:46 AM »

Does anybody know the story behind the design of the Cadillac emblem? My buddy and I were trying to figure out if those are ducks in the emblem or some sort of random designs?? Not really of any importance but I was trying to settle a small late night intoxicated dispute. So I found some interesting stuff and I thought that maybe some of you might want to know some of the history of the emblem. So here is what I found:

Cadillac Heraldry
The Cadillac emblem is one of few in the automotive industry whose origins legitimately belong to a family name. Among automotive regalia, several symbols are known by collectors, and a few are considered works of art. Among them are, Rolls-Royce's Spirit of Ecstasy , Pierce-Arrow's archer, Packard's cormorant,and Benz's three pointed star. The Cadillac coat of arms however, is a well recognized symbol among enthusiasts of all ages.
Le Sieur Antoine De La Mothe Cadillac was born in Gascony on March 5, 1658. He was of a prominent family since he earned a comission in the Royal Army. He founded Detroit in 1701, as well as the governorship of Mississippi. King Louis XIV awarded him the rank of Chevalier of the Military Order of St.Louis.

Breaking the coat of arms into its components:

The Couronne (Crown)-The crown symbolizes the six ancient counts of France. Each tip is topped with a pearl, a symbol of descendancy from the royal counts of Tolouse.

The Shield-In heraldry, a shield represents the origins of a noble family. Its shape is of no consequence, and it pertains to those shield shapes used during the Crusades. The original Cadillac shield though, is round.

The First and Fourth Quarterings-They display the arms de la Mothe. The birds are merlettes, which are heraldic adaptations of the martin. They are set in trios to represent the Holy Trinity. Merlettes were usually awarded by the school of heralds to knights making significant contributions in the Crusades. The color- black against gold- represents wisdom and riches. The "fess" or lateral black bar, represents an award for Crusader service.

The Second and Third Quarterings-The red band symbolizes prowess and boldness in action. The silver represents purity, charity, virtue, and plenty. The blue represents knightly valor.

The emblem was adopted for use on Cadillac cars in 1905. It was registered as a trademark on August 7, 1906.

Evolution
The first Cadillacs incorporated the emblem in the radiator cap, and sometimes on the sides of the body. The lubrication fittings would also have the emblem stamped. Also, the first Cadillacs used a script which was placed accross the radiator.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 10:02:14 AM by VOODOO64 » Logged

Blessed Lady of acceleration don't fail me now!!
Geoff
MCLC Member

Big Red, 1935 Cadillac - 1973 Cadillac Caribou

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 12:09:03 PM »

The "ducks" are actually Merlettes.  If anyone wants to read a LOT about the history of the Cadillac family (not the cars) it is available here at the Cadillac Database from the home page of the Cadillac & LaSalle Club.

http://www.cadillacdatabase.org/Dbas_txt/Coatarms.htm

Geoff

When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that is the beginning of the end of any nation.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Modified Cadillac  |  Home  |  Discussion  |  Topic: What the Duck?? The Cadillac emblem and it's meaning... « previous next »
Jump to: