Modified Cadillac
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 02, 2014, 09:05:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
    CLC 2013 Website of Merit award winner
89,474 Posts in 7,897 Topics by 769 Members
Latest Member: Dusty Coupe
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Modified Cadillac  |  Home  |  Discussion  |  Topic: 331 speed parts 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 331 speed parts  (Read 1809 times)
aspenjason
« on: November 08, 2010, 06:43:27 PM »

Anyone out there able to point me in the direction of some speed parts and or tricks for my 53 331? Going to do a complete teardown and rebuild, and i would like to know whats out there, (heads, pistons, cam, carb, carbs....) what are the hot set ups and what have you seen work? I don't want to build a race car, but I would really like to have the strongest 331 that I can.
c322348
Registered Guest

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 01:55:41 PM »

There's a lot of info in the HAMB archives. I'm getting ready to hop up a '53 331 as well.

Everyone says that breathing is a problem on the 331 that only '62 and earlier 390 heads can fix. If you go with a solid lifter cam instead of the hydraulic cam you can use Studebaker adjustable rockers on the Caddy rocker shaft. I think Howard's still regrinds cams and Isky cams are sold on eBay.

Also, the block can be bored out quite a bit, there is a lot of wall thickness to work with. 1/8" over to the 4" 390 bore is a cinch. I was thinking of putting a 390 crank in mine, but the bearing journal widths and diameters are different so a lot of crank grinding would be necessary. I've heard that it has been done but I have yet to get in contact with someone who has actually done it.

Here is a good article on rebuilding a 390 for reference: http://hotrodcaddy.com/?p=139  Sounds like moving to stiffer valve springs and a new cam are a must for performance.

Lots of intake manifold choices from stock 390 4-barrel and 3x2 stuff to aftermarket. Check the HAMB and eBay.

The later timing covers have a rubber crank seal instead of the rope seal. There is also a mod to use a Chrysler rear main seal with some shim stock to replace the rope seal there as well.

Is you car pretty much stock otherwise with an automatic transmission?
aspenjason
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 06:46:22 PM »

Yep, its bone stock. I don't have the resources to restore it to OEM, and I am kind of torn because it was a beautiful car. its a four doorFfleetwood 62 series s. Gold badging and the coolest seat fabric with tiny little Cadillac emblems sewn into the pattern. But I do have the resources to enjoy whats left and make it a bit of a rat rod. I intend to bag it, paint the roof, and redo the interior. However the first step is solid engine and trans. Ive found an outfit in Denver that I will visit with the car in the next few weeks who will perform the transmission rebuild and do all the machine work for my engine rebuild. (I don't know anything abut an automatic and I am not going to start with a pre fire hydromatic!) I will definitely check out the HAMB archives, and will more than likely run an Isky cam. Thanks for the tip on the seals, that will save some grief and add piece of mind.
You referred to articles about rebuilding the 390; Are they that similar?

P.S. Thanks for the valuable reply.
c322348
Registered Guest

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 10:28:55 AM »

The 331, 365 and early 390 share the same architecture, similar to the relationship between a 283 and a 350 Chevy. The '63 "late" 390 shares the architecture of the '64 and later 429, so don't get those confused. Other than a few details the 331 should go together like an early 390.

The 331 has a partial bellhousing cast into the block. The trans therefore also has a short bellhousing. The 365 and 390 take a trans with full bellhousing (the torque converter ends up inside the trans bellhousing). If you are using your existing trans- no problem. If you want to switch to a 390, you'll need a different trans (or maybe some kind of rare adapter).
Geoff
MCLC Member

Big Red, 1935 Cadillac - 1973 Cadillac Caribou

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 01:13:27 PM »

Gentlemen, check this out -----

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/pts/2046724703.html

Geoff

When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that is the beginning of the end of any nation.
c322348
Registered Guest

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 01:34:38 PM »

Wow! That's a smokin' deal for someone!!!!
jw
Registered Guest

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 10:47:08 AM »

http://hotrodcaddy.com/?p=17
c322348
Registered Guest

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 12:56:52 PM »

http://users.erols.com/srweiss/tablersn.htm#Cadillac

http://www.hotrodcaddy.com/speed_parts.htm

http://www.carnut.com/specs/gen/_cad50m.html

EZ
Registered Guest

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 10:04:03 PM »

Speedway sells stuff for old Cadillac motors.

"EZ"

EZ
1966 Cadillac Coupe DeVille
Ringgold, GA.

TORQUE IT DOWN 'TILL IT STRIPS.......THEN BACK IT OFF HALF A TURN.
aspenjason
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 06:05:10 PM »

Thank you for the response everyone. Due to some of the limitations of my engine, and the expense of paying to rebuild my trans, I am also beginning to consider an engine transmission swap. One idea is to get my hands on an early 500 equipped cad and perform a transplant. I am also considering, (and please don't kill me) a 454-502 crate motor and th350 trans swap. I know it isn't Cadillac, but its a bit more affordable, especially because mine is not a terribly desireable or unique model. I go back and forth every day about what I should do, but I geuss I wont know untill I finally start. Any thoughts or sucess stories of transplants? Doe sanyone have any reasonable objections to sway me to keep the engine/tranny intact? And last but not least, would my engine and tranny be of any use to folks on the board or is craigslist/e-bay the way to go? Huh
c322348
Registered Guest

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 06:48:50 PM »

I'm curious what kind of coin you are talking about. Unless the trans is totally trashed, will it cost any more to rebuild that a turbo 350? The parts may be a little more expensive but the bulk of the cost should be in the labor, shouldn't it? Same for the engine.

A 502 crate motor alone is over $9K?Huh? If you can't do the worlds nicest 331 and trans for half that I'd be shocked.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Modified Cadillac  |  Home  |  Discussion  |  Topic: 331 speed parts « previous next »
Jump to: