Modified Cadillac
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 02, 2014, 09:05:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Visit our Documents section to reference 1000s of pages of Cadillac & LaSalle factory & dealer literature items including:
Master Parts Lists, Illustrated Parts Catalogs, factory sales brochures, technical bulletins, advertising, data books & more.
89,474 Posts in 7,897 Topics by 769 Members
Latest Member: Dusty Coupe
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Modified Cadillac  |  Home  |  Discussion  |  Topic: Rasmus' '68 Cadillac Coupe deVille Custom 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rasmus' '68 Cadillac Coupe deVille Custom  (Read 7228 times)
Stampie
Administrator

Got no Caddy no mo.

« Reply #90 on: May 15, 2013, 10:39:35 AM »

Yea but ya'll have so many laws its not fun to drive anymore.

Stampie

1986 Volvo 245DL
1965 Switch Pitch 400 transmission
1969 BOP 400 transmission
1970 472 engine
1999 Z71 Standard Cab 1500
2005 GMC 2500 Van
Founding member of 1250
CLC # 19xxx
Rasmus68DeVille
Registered Guest

Girls, Cars, and Blues Guitars

« Reply #91 on: May 15, 2013, 01:42:40 PM »

If you get a flat tire will the lowest point drag on the ground?
Good observation and question.

Yes it would. Is it a mistake? No, it was a design compromise I made. Will I regret it? Maybe. I wanted more back seat head room and didn't want to raise the seating area by 6 to 7 inches to fit the links in, considering I'll probably chop the top. Running a car this low you have to make compromises.

1968 Cadillac Coupe deVille
Las Vegas, USA
Carnut
Registered Guest

« Reply #92 on: May 15, 2013, 03:25:52 PM »

If it is an option, you may want to use runflats on the rear.

1984 Coupe Deville
1954 Pontiac Chieftain Catalina
1950 Chevy Convertible
2008 Infiniti G37S
1989 F250
pdxmose
Registered Guest

« Reply #93 on: May 15, 2013, 03:48:25 PM »

Any vehicle that can be truly 'slammed' has risk of losing control due to a flat or suspension failure (air spring).  I contemplated creating a spring loaded bump-stop like spacer that would prevent a full drop.  This could be retracted with an air solenoid that is plumbed in parallel with the dump switches.  This would provide safety margin when cruising at normal ride height, but allow 'parking lot' cruising or slamming with an override switch (or automatically when dumping).  The only down side is that for normal driving you may have reduced suspension travel, although this reduction also has the potential benefit of eliminating dragging.

For my caddy, air spring failure still gives me about 1" of clearance.  A tire failure would be more than that 1", however I would never drive at highway speeds fully dropped.  Thus it would require an air spring fail AND a tire failure to lose control.

...mose

1966 Deville 4DHT --- 1971 Buick Riviera --- 1972 M44A2 (duece-and-a-half) --- 1953 Olds 98 --- 1937 Packard 115
Rasmus68DeVille
Registered Guest

« Reply #94 on: May 15, 2013, 06:19:01 PM »

Any vehicle that can be truly 'slammed' has risk of losing control due to a flat or suspension failure (air spring).  I contemplated creating a spring loaded bump-stop like spacer that would prevent a full drop.  This could be retracted with an air solenoid that is plumbed in parallel with the dump switches.  This would provide safety margin when cruising at normal ride height, but allow 'parking lot' cruising or slamming with an override switch (or automatically when dumping).  The only down side is that for normal driving you may have reduced suspension travel, although this reduction also has the potential benefit of eliminating dragging.           ...mose
Interesting idea Mose. I plan on running bumpstops that prevent a true frame laying. I'll leave 1/8" frame to ground on perfectly level ground when fully loaded on the bump stops. But nothing like you're dreaming up.

Both you and Carnut are correct. In the event of a rapid deflation or loss of tire on one of my rear wheels there would be Sparks-A-Flyin. Probably from three places. 1. The crazy low tabs on the axle. 2. the frame just in front of the failed tire. 3. the bumper/ tail light housing just behind the failed tire.

"Beauty is pain." - Frenchy (Grease)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 06:26:10 PM by Rasmus68DeVille » Logged

Las Vegas, USA
Roadkill
Registered Guest

Milton Keynes, U.K

« Reply #95 on: May 16, 2013, 05:47:08 AM »

Ha !

Sleeping Policemen.  I thought that was a British term for speed bumps (??) - learn something new everyday . . . . !

I like the idea of solenoid-operated bump stops . . . . must admit it's worrying me a tad as I've relocated the LCA's on my Camaro and the bottom of the brackets are about 1/4" lower than the outer diameter of the rims.

I was gonna go for bigger rims but a) They wouldn't look right and b) bigger rims mean more expensive tyres . . . and U.S tyres are expensive enough as it is over here, thank you !!  censored

1958 Cadillac Sedan DeVille  - (WATCH THIS SPACE)
1983 Chevrolet Camaro Z28, 5.7 V8, 6-Speed  - In Storage
2005 Ford Mondeo, 2.0 TDCI, 6-Speed  -  247,000 Miler
Rasmus68DeVille
Registered Guest

« Reply #96 on: May 16, 2013, 10:23:09 AM »

Sleeping Policemen.  I thought that was a British term for speed bumps (??) - learn something new everyday . . . . !
Mimicked from the boys on Top Gear. Some of us Yanks like Red Coat humor. The tea tastes like sea water, though. 

Las Vegas, USA
pdxmose
Registered Guest

« Reply #97 on: May 16, 2013, 10:50:04 AM »

I like the idea of solenoid-operated bump stops

Or to be fully automatic and fool proof they could be vacuum actuated directly off the manifold.  Then you can only drop the car when the engine is off!

...mose

1966 Deville 4DHT --- 1971 Buick Riviera --- 1972 M44A2 (duece-and-a-half) --- 1953 Olds 98 --- 1937 Packard 115
Roadkill
Registered Guest

Milton Keynes, U.K

« Reply #98 on: May 16, 2013, 06:31:21 PM »

Or to be fully automatic and fool proof they could be vacuum actuated directly off the manifold.  Then you can only drop the car when the engine is off!

...mose

You could probably hook a feed up to the solenoids from the ignition so they'd come into play the second you started up ?? . . . I don't know a lot about electrickery but I do know that I have little luck with vacuum-operated mechanics and old cars . . . The vacuum wipers on the '58 have about as much reliability and rhythm as a fish left out of water too long . . . 

Mimicked from the boys on Top Gear. Some of us Yanks like Red Coat humor. The tea tastes like sea water, though. 

Ah, good taste, then.  Most Yanks can't get their head around British humour.   'Bit too clever for them.  Stir the pot  Stir the pot  Stir the pot

Unless, of course, you happen to enjoy Benny Hill.  no

And I don't watch top gear as it's totally staged (a friend of mine was involved in setting up data-logging equipment for a few shows) . . . Also JC is an utter bell-end - can't stand him !

Finally.   I only drink tea "Sweet and Milky" . . . "Baby Tea" my old man called it . . .  banana

Apologies for wandering off-topic . . I seem to have a habit of doing that today.  I'm off to bed.   

Rasmus68DeVille
Registered Guest

« Reply #99 on: May 16, 2013, 08:00:57 PM »

And I don't watch top gear as it's totally staged (a friend of mine was involved in setting up data-logging equipment for a few shows) . . . Also JC is an utter bell-end - can't stand him !
I know Top Gear is mostly staged. I don't care. I laugh my ass off. The editing is great. The jokes are great. JC's Top Gear persona is funny because he's played as a high functioning, retarded, man-child. James May is the funniest guy on the show because he's the Straight-Man of all the jokes. He sets up the other two so their buffoonery has something to play off. It leaves me in stitches. Excepting the three lap times (Star-In-A-Car, Stig-In-A-Car, F1Liana) I wouldn't care if the whole show was staged.

Working of rear air bag spring placement. I'm going to use Slam Specialties SS-8 bags on all four corners.

I selected them for two reasons. 1. They come highly recommended. 2. They had 10+ inches of travel. 2.7" - 13". So I wouldn't have to do any complex lever system to get the amount of travel I wanted in the rear.

Looks like I lucked out. I plan on running them at 7.25" at ride height which is exactly the height of the bags static. That'll give me over 4.5 inches to frame lay. I only need 4 max And still be able to raise it up 4 inches to Factory Ride Height with two inches to spare for additional droop at that height. Plus the Slam Specialties tech "Tim" said that 6.75-7.25" install height will provide the best ride.

Las Vegas, USA
Roadkill
Registered Guest

Milton Keynes, U.K

« Reply #100 on: May 18, 2013, 05:04:23 PM »

This is where it gets particularly interesting for me . . . . I was looking at the Ride Tech kit for the '58 but last time I checked it was mega-expensive, the ride adjust-ability was crap and the rear bag mounts looked cheap.

I told myself that I won't start my '58 until I can afford to make the first major out-lay - which, in my build plan, is the air suspension. 

Like you I planned to make the chassis a completely separate job (and keep the suspension totally chassis-only-mounted) . . . . Not sure what your plan for the rest of the car is but mine is basically to up-rate everything you can't see and then dump the old, untouched patina'ed body back on top, sleeper like.

yes

Can't wait to get going with it . . . .  trash computer

Rasmus68DeVille
Registered Guest

« Reply #101 on: May 21, 2013, 06:30:06 PM »

Fabricating the upper air spring brackets took more time than I hoped. Mostly because the Internets not gonna surf itself and someone needed to play that videogame.

Got to thinking the way I made these they'll end up collecting water and debris if I don't give it a way out. So I made three more holes just for that purpose. See the red arrows. One large 1 incher and two 1/4 inches.

Swore bunches making these. Mostly because I dropped a lot of tools and parts working on the underside of the cross bars. Lots of measuring and remeasureing. Drilled a few holes wrong. Had to weld 'em up. grind 'em flat and redrill. Blah. Blah. Here they are tacked in their final positions.

Las Vegas, USA
Rasmus68DeVille
Registered Guest

« Reply #102 on: May 22, 2013, 12:39:50 AM »

After getting the upper brackets done, I felt rejuvenated. I got out there and started making the lower air spring brackets. Here's the start of one. Only need two. Also, purchased a second grinder. Named her "Mistress". She's slimmer and newer than "Beloved" but doesn't have the power or experience.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 12:43:36 AM by Rasmus68DeVille » Logged

Las Vegas, USA
Fins
Registered Guest

« Reply #103 on: May 22, 2013, 05:53:21 AM »

I like to play and have fun here. I'll pick on your lowriders, your wagon wheels and your straight pipes. That's why Stampie always kept me around.

But you'll never hear or read about me downing this kind of design work. I envy that kind of design talent. Nice work Rasmus.  

He also keeps me around to drool over my '59. He has a secret fetish for them but won't admit it.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 05:54:56 AM by Fins » Logged

1959 Cadillac Sedan deVille
Former CLC# 22631
I'll re-up eventually.
EZ
Registered Guest

« Reply #104 on: May 22, 2013, 05:02:41 PM »

Wagon wheels???  You mean like these on my new Ram 1500?Huh   rock on  These are 22's............

* IMG_0115.JPG (142.16 KB, 816x612 - viewed 60 times.)

EZ
1966 Cadillac Coupe DeVille
Ringgold, GA.

TORQUE IT DOWN 'TILL IT STRIPS.......THEN BACK IT OFF HALF A TURN.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
Modified Cadillac  |  Home  |  Discussion  |  Topic: Rasmus' '68 Cadillac Coupe deVille Custom « previous next »
Jump to: